Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Great Brookland Yard Sale Photos

Brookland Avenue Blog - Photo Spread

Tyler at Brookland Avenue posted some great pictures of the GBYS. Check them out here.

Feeling Blue?

This week marks National Police Week.

There will be several events in the District of Columbia to honor not only the law enforcement officers the DC Metropolitan Police Department (MPD), but also law enforcement officers from the various states and the federal government. This week was set-aside by a Presidential Proclamation signed by President John F. Kennedy in 1962.

The primary purpose during this week’s events is to pay special recognition to those law enforcement officers who have lost their lives in the line of duty for the safety and protection of others. Prayerfully, there have not been any law enforcement loss of live within the District of Columbia Metropolitan Police Department. Please join me and the 5th District Citizens’ Advisory Council in honoring the service of DC MPD officers and other law enforcement officers around the country.

Monday, May 11, 2009

Brookland Avenue

New Blog Featuring Brookland!

I had the chance to meet Tyler during the Great Brookland Yard Sale. He's launched Brookland Avenue, a new blog featuring Brookland news and activities. Check it out.

Send in Your Pics!

Show off the GBYS

Another big thank you to all who put in their time and effort to make the GBYS another success!
I was out and about with my camera and will be editing the photos this week, so please check back here to view. Also, if you took any pictures, then feel free to send them in or send me a link and I'll publish it.

Sunday, May 10, 2009

GBYS Another Success

Looking forward to 2010

Thanks to everyone for their contributions of time and effort to make the 2009 GBYS a success. The weather was excellent. At the very least, it was a great day to get out and walk the neighborhood. 

I got to visit some of the sales this year and will post some pictures and video this week. If you have any nice shots or clips, please send them in as we'll post them.

Looking into next year, we will be putting together a group of volunteers to help us with this growing event. Please look for the call on the listserve and the blog!

Thanks again everybody. It was a fun day. 

Saturday, May 9, 2009

Ladies and Gentlmen

The Great Brookand Yard Sale is a GO!

Miracles do happen, the weather report today for for sunny weather at a high of 79!
The Great Brookland Yard Sale is on! 

Don't forget to print the map to guide you shopping!

Friday, May 8, 2009

Let the Sunshine!

We are Still A Go for Saturday!

The weather report for tommorrow is very similar to today's. Sun in the AM and showers hitting us later in the evening. So, unless we wake up to rain, it will be full speed ahead on the GBYS!

To be on the safe side, check back here in the AM. We will have a final update between 7:30 am and 8:00 am.

I'm guessing our collective goodwill will keep the clouds at bay!

Wednesday, May 6, 2009

How to Shop the Great Brookland Yard Sale

Easy as 1, 2, 3...

We have worked hard to make your attendance at the great Brookland yard sale easy. If you're interested in attending, just pick an address from the map on the left side of the page and come on over. Each yard sale location will have a complimentary map that will help guide your to other sales in the area. OR you can print up the map (warning as it will contain yard sale summaries it will be many pages long!) and bring it with you.

So check the weather and come on down!

What if it rains on Saturday?

The weather seems content to keep us guessing up until the last minute.

Per the weather channel this morning, there is an overall 60% chance of thunder storms on Saturday. But the good news is that Thunderstorms usually hit in the late afternoon or evenings.

The daytime forecast for Saturday is only a 40% chance of rain which increased to 60% later in the evening. So we will just have to keep an eye on the sky and this blog for updates!

On Saturday morning we will take a look at the data available and make a go or no go decision based on the local radar and other available info. So before you start setting up your sale, check here to see what the over all status is.

In case of rain:

If it does rain on Saturday and the yard sales are cancelled, Sunday has been scheduled as a back up day. Participation on Sunday, due to mothers day, won't likely be as high, but we can only play the hand we are dealt.

So check here for updates before you start to set up!

Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Complimentary Yard Sale Kits

Delivery Scheduled Weds. thru Sat.!

Just an FYI, that the Menkiti Group will start delivering Yard Sale kits this Wendesday. The kits will contain copies of the yard sale map for customers and other goodies.

The kits will be delivered to addresses appearing on the printed version of the GBYS Map. You can view that map here.

The kits will be delivered between Wednesday PM and Saturday AM. If you signed up after April 29th, remember that you will be on the online version of the map, but won't be on the printed one. It is my understanding that kits will be going to those on the printed map only.

Looks like mother nature will keep us guessing up until that last minute. What a wet spring we are having. Keep thinking sunshine and remember to keep an eye on the blog for updates.

Monday, May 4, 2009

Weather Outlook

30% Chance of Showers = 70% Chance of Sun!

It's been a dicey week looking at the forecast for Saturday and the Great Brookland Yard Sale. Last week the forecast was calling for an 80% chance of rain, but it seems luck is on our side and the evolving predictions have only a 30% chance for rain as of this morning. Keep thinking positive thoughts!

Friday, May 1, 2009

Yard Sale Map!

Here's a preview of the printable map for the GBYS 2009. (Click for Larger)

Making Your Yard Sale A Success

Yard Sale Marketing Info:

Just a reminder that all the marketing of the yard sale that we've done promotes the overall GBYS. You'll need to put up signage and take other steps to ensure your sale is a success. Please read this so you understand what we are and are not doing to promote the big event.

Post Yard Sale Social

San Antonio Bar and Grill

The San Antonio Bar and Grill has offered us extended happy hour prices and a place to gather following the Great Brookland Yard Sale. This would be a great opportunity for us to socialize and enjoy some refreshments. Since we will all (hopefully) have some cash in hand, why not?

If you are intersted, please drop me a quick email at: Fortinandrew@hotmail.com
This will let us alert them so they can be properly staffed.

Yard Sale Kits Coming

Courtesy of our Sponsor: The Menkiti Group

The Menkiti group will be distributing yard sale kits on Saturday, May 9 before the yard sale kicks off. The kits will include several surprises, but most importantly, printed yard sale maps for you to hand out to shoppers to help them navigate Brookland. More details to follow.

Adopt a Sign!

Help Pull in Traffic from Michigan and Rhode Island Aves:

We are looking for a few creative volunteers to post signs at four locations on the borders of Brookland to direct traffic into the yard sale areas. The locations are: 12th and Michigan, 13th and Michigan as well as 13th and Rhode Island and 12th and Rhode Island. If you want to help out drop me an email at fortinandrew@hotmail.com

This project would involve:
1) Making a sign that would be visible to passing traffic
2) Posting the sign in the morning on 5/9
3) Removing the sign following the yard sale.