Sunday, April 18, 2010

Brookland Clean Up Day, May 1, 2010

Company is coming!

Our neighbor Rachel has organized a community-wide clean up day for Saturday, May 1, 2010. 

Details are in her posting to the listserve which reads:

Hi clean up team,
The May 1 clean up is coming together!
The Menkiti Group has agreed to host a little party with ice cream and raffles for cleaners in their offices from 12-1 on Saturday. Thank you, Mary! 
Also, thanks so much to Liz for putting her design skills to use in making up a flier/poster for the clean up! I'm attaching two versions-- please use them to advertise the event to your neighbors. One is a general one, and one is fill-out-able (either by hand or computer)-- that is, you can write in your name and print it out to hand to neighbors and others you might want to recruit for your area. I'll make a bunch of copies of both-- let me know if you need some and I can drop them by or leave them on my porch for you to pick up.  
I'm also attaching a map with clean up zones marked off. As you can see, a lot of Brookland is covered, but there are areas in the "heart of Brookland" that don't have coordinators or volunteers yet. If you know anyone who lives in this area and would be willing to lead the charge, please put them in touch with me or Caroline. We need to cover more ground! 
I've requested that DPW pick up full trash bags on Saturday from three locations-- 12th and Monroe, 12th and Franklin, and 18th and Monroe. We could only choose three places-- I chose the locations based on existing volunteer coverage and also where I know there'll be a lot of trash. Bags from other parts of the neighborhood should be placed in alley trash cans or brought to these locations. I'll keep you posted on this.
Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns. In the meantime, please spread the word and get your neighbors excited about the clean up! I'm looking forward to seeing a brighter, cleaner Brookland in just a few weeks!


No comments: